Monday, November 15, 2010

Yearning for Freedom

I am thankful to live in the freest country in the world. I'm glad that in this place I am free to work for freedom. However, being told this is the freest country in the world is a little like parents telling their only child who just lost a beauty contest that they're the most beautiful child in the house.

For example, if one wanted to take this pledge:

I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.

In this country, one could not, without going to jail.

If I agree with another person to exchange my labor for any goods, monetary or otherwise, the government lays claim to 50% or more of the agreed upon exchange -- upon my labor (income tax). If instead, I wish to produce something that others in society desire, and exchange that item with individuals, government lays claim to that same 50% or more of my labor, and a percentage of the exchange, forcing me to raise the price of the item to more than it's true value (sales tax).

Finally, if I decide to not participate -- if I head off on my own and attempt to raise my own food and be completely self-sufficient -- neither creating goods for others or working for others, government still lays claim to a portion of what I own (property tax). If I simply mind my own business, not using any "government" services at all, and do not pay my yearly "rent" -- as determined by said government -- they will come at gunpoint and forcibly remove me and place me in prison.

1 comment:

  1. Ogre my friend, I'm so glad to see you are still at it. :-)

    I'm still alive and kicking! Catherine aka HAM

    ReplyDelete